A Transcultural Revolution of the Unconscious: Psychoanalysis and Chinese Culture across the Pacific
Henry Luce Fellowship, 2021-22
Associate Professor of History, University of California, Davis
Howard Chiang is associate professor of history at the University of California, Davis. He has written two monographs on China, forming a duology of queer Asian Pacific history through the lens of knowledge production. After Eunuchs: Science, Medicine, and the Transformation of Sex in Modern China analyzes the history of sex change in China from the demise of castration in the late Qing era to the emergence of transsexuality in Cold War Taiwan. It received the 2019 International Convention of Asia Scholars Humanities Book Prize and the 2020 Bonnie and Vern L. Bullough Book Award from the Society for the Scientific Study of Sexuality. Transtopia in the Sinophone Pacific proposes a new paradigm for doing transgender history in which geopolitics assumes central importance. Chiang is the editor-in-chief of the Global Encyclopedia of Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, and Queer history, which was awarded the 2020 Dartmouth Medal by the American Library Association.
Chiang's current work centers on the historical and conceptual foundations of the human sciences, especially psychoanalysis, cultural psychiatry, and racial science. One major project explores the history of psychoanalysis and transcultural reasoning across the Pacific, and another rethinks the intellectual legacies of Michel Foucault in the cognitive revolution. He coedits (with James Welker) the "Global Queer Asias" book series published by the University of Michigan Press. Since 2019, he has served as the Founding Chair of the Society of Sinophone Studies. Visit Chiang’s website by clicking here.
- Chiang, Howard. Transtopia in the Sinophone Pacific. New York: Columbia University Press, 2021.
- Chiang, Howard, ed. The Making of the Human Sciences in China: Historical and Conceptual Foundations. Boston: Brill, 2019.
- Chiang, Howard, ed. The Global Encyclopedia of Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, and Queer (LGBTQ) History. 3 vols. Farmington Hills, MI: Charles Scribner’s Sons, 2019.
- Chiang, Howard. After Eunuchs: Science, Medicine, and the Transformation of Sex in Modern China. New York: Columbia University Press, 2018.
- Chiang, Howard, ed. Historical Epistemology and the Making of Modern Chinese Medicine. Manchester, UK: Manchester University Press, 2015.