We’re looking for amazing and talented humanists. Join our team!
The National Humanities Center is a private, nonprofit organization, and the only independent institute dedicated exclusively to advanced study in the humanities. The Center provides essential support for the humanities, encouraging excellence in scholarship and teaching while affirming the importance of the humanities in American life. The Center’s mission is accomplished through its residential fellowship program, educational programming, and public engagement. The Center is supported by the generosity of individual donors, grants, corporate philanthropy, and institutional sponsors.
Accounting and Operations Assistant
The Center is seeking an Accounting and Operations Assistant who will be responsible for the department’s administrative duties, daily business transactions, report preparation, and bank statement reconciliation. This onsite position works 32 hours per week. The assistant position provides direct support to the CFO and Operations Manager and the Accounting and Operations Specialist. The successful candidate must be well-organized, accurate, and attentive to details.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Establish and maintain relationships with new and existing vendors; handle all inquiries and payment tracking
- Set up, record, and pay vendor invoices and ACH transactions in a timely manner
- Process monthly Fellowship stipends
- Process conference participants’ and speakers’ stipends and travel reimbursements
- Maintain vendor profiles as needed including collecting W-9 forms and other documentation
- Prepare annual 1099 statements
- Process monthly Fellowship and staff billing for miscellaneous charges
- Process credit card payments
- Prepare bank deposits and general ledger postings
- Reconcile and ensure accuracy of bank statements
- Process bi-monthly payroll data entry and complete withholding reconciliations
- Responsible for ordering supplies for staff and Fellows
- Manage the Center’s promotional (swag) inventory
- Record monthly staff credit card transactions
- Assist with annual audit analysis and data requests
- Assist Accounting and Operations Specialist in coordinating the needs and maintenance of the building
- Perform other duties as assigned
Skills and Qualifications
- Associate’s degree or higher, or comparable work experience
- Solid data entry and word processing skills
- Hands-on experience with spreadsheets and financial reports
- Proficient in Microsoft Office, Google Workspace, and cloud-based storage solutions, with aptitude to learn new software and systems
- Ability to multi-task on many different projects and be highly self-motivated
- Exceptional verbal and written communication and time management skills with a customer service mindset
- Demonstrates a professional demeanor and appearance
- Experience with Blackbaud Financial Edge software and Box cloud storage, preferred
- Previous experience in a nonprofit or academic setting, preferred
- Must be able to regularly pull and push a minimum of 10 pounds
- Must be able to regularly lift 25 pounds
- Must be able to stand or sit for extended periods of time
Qualified applicants should send a cover letter, résumé, and a list of references to firstname.lastname@example.org. Submissions will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled. Candidates are strongly encouraged to apply early.
The National Humanities Center is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, marital status, disability status, protected veteran status or any other basis protected by law.