Monumental Verse: Poetry, Cityscape, and Authority in Late Ancient Rome
Archie K. Davis Fellowship, 2019-20
Professor of Ancient Mediterranean Studies, University of Missouri-ColumbiaEmail
Dennis Trout received his PhD in Ancient History from Duke University and was associate professor of classics at Tufts University before moving to the University of Missouri in 2000. His research focuses upon Late Antiquity and engages material and visual evidence and well as literary sources. He has been the president of the North American Patristics Society and is the recipient of fellowships from the National Endowment for the Humanities and the Loeb Classical Library Foundation. He is the author of Paulinus of Nola: Life, Letters, and Poems (University of California Press, 1999) and Damasus of Rome: The Epigraphic Poetry (Oxford University Press, 2015). Forthcoming from Oxford University Press is a co-authored volume with Marco Conti and Virginia Burrus of newly edited texts and translations focused upon the late ancient and medieval “lives” of Constantina, a historical daughter of the emperor Constantine. While a Fellow at the National Humanities Center he will be completing a book titled Monumental Verse, which offers the first comprehensive study of the metrical building inscriptions of late ancient Rome.
- Marco, Conti, Virginia Burrus, and Dennis Trout. The Lives of Constantina: Introduction, Texts, Translations, and Commentary. Oxford, UK: Oxford University Press. Forthcoming.
- Trout, Dennis E. “Pictures with Words: Reading the Apse Mosaic of S. Agnese f.l.m. (Rome).” Studies in Iconography. Forthcoming, 2019.
- Trout, Dennis E. “Peter Beyond Rome: Achilleus of Spoleto, Neon of Ravenna, and the Epigramma Longum.” In Leadership and Community in Late Antiquity: Essays in Honor of Raymond Van Dam, edited by Richard Kim Young, and Alexandra T. McLaughlin. Cultural Encounters in Late Antiquity and the Early Middle Ages. Turnout: Brepols. Forthcoming.
- Trout, Dennis E. Damasus of Rome: The Epigraphic Poetry. Introduction, Texts, Translations, and Commentary. Oxford, UK: Oxford University Press, 2015.
- Trout, Dennis E. Paulinus of Nola: Life, Letters, and Poems. The Transformation of the Classical Heritage XXVII. Berkeley: University of California Press, 1999.