The National Humanities Center is a private, nonprofit organization, and the only independent institute dedicated exclusively to advanced study in all areas of the humanities.
Through its residential fellowship program, the Center provides scholars with the resources necessary to generate new knowledge and to further understanding of all forms of cultural expression, social interaction, and human thought. The most tangible result of the Fellows’ work is the publication of over 1500 books since the Center opened.
The Center’s education programs strengthen teaching on the collegiate and pre-collegiate levels. Model programs developed at the Center provide teachers and faculty with new materials and instructional strategies to make them more effective in the classroom and rekindle their enthusiasm for the subjects they teach.
Through public engagement in the form of community lectures, panel discussions, symposia and a rich multi-media library, the Center promotes understanding of the humanities and advocates for their foundational role in a democratic society.
The Center is supported by by the generosity of individual donors, grants from private and public foundations, corporate philanthropy, partner universities, and income from the Center’s endowment.
Founders of the National Humanities Center
- Meyer Abrams
- Morton Bloomfield
- Frederick Burkhardt
- Charles Frankel
- Robert F. Goheen
- Steven Marcus
- Henry Nash Smith
- Gregory Vlastos
- John Voss
Sponsors of the National Humanities Center
- Arizona State University College of Liberal Arts and Sciences
- The Arthur Vining Davis Foundations
- Boston University Center for the Humanities
- The College of Humanities at the University of Utah
- The College of Liberal Arts at the University of Texas at Arlington
- Columbia University Division of Arts and Sciences
- Duke University
- Emory College of Arts and Sciences
- Hamilton College
- Harvard University
- Johns Hopkins University Krieger School of Arts and Sciences
- Christian A. Johnson Endeavor Foundation
- The Henry Luce Foundation, Inc.
- The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation
- North Carolina GlaxoSmithKline Foundation
- North Carolina State University
- Princeton University
- Research Triangle Foundation of North Carolina
- RTI International
- Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey
- The Teagle Foundation Inc.
- Triangle Universities Center for Advanced Studies Inc.
- University of California, Irvine School of Humanities
- University of Maryland
- University of Michigan College of Literature, Science, and the Arts
- University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
- University of Virginia College and Graduate School of Arts and Sciences
- Washington University in St. Louis
- Yale University