Design, Ideology, and Communication: A Visual Culture Study on Chinese Left-Wing Literary Publications (1928–1937)
Luce East Asia Fellowship, 2018–19
His research fields focus on Art History and Visual Communication which cover early twentieth-century modern art, Chinese design history, advertising, film, and media. He is the author of Design, Culture, and Modernity: A Study on Chen Zhifo’s designing practices, 1918-1937 (Fudan University Press, August 2016). He is also a documentary filmmaker and often participates in international exchange and exhibitions.
- Li, Huaqiang. “Modern Costume Culture, Pattern Style and Consumption Aesthetics” in The Evolution and Prospect of Visual Culture, edited by Meng Jian. Nanjing, China: Nanjing Normal University Press, 2017.
- Li, Huaqiang. Design, Culture and Modernity : A Study on Chen Zhifo’s Design Practices (1918-1937). Shanghai: Fudan University Press, 2016.
- Li, Huaqiang. “Exploration of Chen Zhenfo’s Study Abroad in Japan.” In A Study of Chen Zhifo, edited by Nanjing Museum, 13-35. Nanjing, China: Yilin Press, 2016.
- Li, Huaqiang. “Instantaneous Color: Tao Yuanqing and His Time.” Wenhui Bao Wenhui Scholar (December 2016): 16.
- Li, Huaqiang. “The Utopia for Designers: The Establishment, Operation and Significance of Shangmei Design Studio.” Creation and Design no. 5 (2016): 70-8.