India, Iran and Empire: The Shansabānīs of Ghūr, c. 1150–1215
Josephus Daniels Fellowship of the Research Triangle Foundation, 2018–19
Alka Patel is Associate Professor in the Department of Art History and in the PhD Program for Visual Studies at the University of California, Irvine. She received her B.A. from Mount Holyoke College and her PhD from Harvard University. Dr Patel’s research has focused on South Asia and its connections with Iran and Central Asia, including overland and Indian Ocean maritime networks. Her published works include Building Communities in Gujarat: Architecture and Society during the Twelfth-Fourteenth Centuries (Brill 2004), Communities and Commodities: Western India and the Indian Ocean. Dr Patel’s guest edited volume of Archives of Asian Art LIX (2007) was a special issue on reuse in South Asian visual and material culture. Her interests have expanded to include mercantile networks and architectural patronage in 18th-19th-century South Asia, as evidenced in Indo-Muslim Cultures in Transition (co-ed. K. Leonard, Brill 2012). Dr Patel’s recent volume India and Iran in the Longue Durée (Jordan Center for Persian Studies, 2017), co-edited with ancient Iranist Touraj Daryaee, resulted from an international conference convening a wide array of specialists analyzing Indo-Iranian connections over two millennia. Her current monographic project on the Ghurids of Afghanistan and northern India is titled “An Empire of Nomads: the Shansabānīs of Afghanistan, ca. 1150-1215.” Concurrently, Dr Patel also began a project on colonial photography in Afghanistan and India, in collaboration with the Getty Research Institute (Los Angeles, CA).
- Patel, Alka, and Tūraǧ Daryāyī, eds. India and Iran in the Longue Durée. Irvine, CA: Jordan Center for Persian Studies, 2017.
- Patel, Alka. “The Photgraphic Albums of Abbas Ali as Continuations of the Mughal Muraqqa’ Tradition.” The Getty Research Journal 7 (2015): 35-52.
- Patel, Alka. “What’s in a Name: The ‘Arts of Islam’ at the Musée du Louvre, Paris.” Marg 66, 3 (2015): 84-91.
- Patel, Alka, and Karen Isaksen Leondard, eds. Indo-Muslim Cultures in Transition. Leiden, Brill Academic Publishers, 2012.
- Patel, Alka. Building Communities in Gujarāt: Architecture and Society during the Twelfth through Fourteenth Centuries. Brill’s Indological Library, Volume: 22. Leiden: E.J. Brill, 2004.