Philo of Alexandria: On Providence I–II. Critical Text, Translation, and Commentary
Robert F. and Margaret S. Goheen Fellowship, 2018–19
His published works include: three books on the writings of the first-century Jewish philosopher Philo of Alexandria (several of whose works survive in Classical Armenian only): Philonis Alexandrini De Animalibus (1981), Philon d’Alexandrie: Alexander (1988), and Philon d’Alexandrie: Quaestiones in Exodum (1992). The latter two, in French, are in the series Les oeuvres de Philon d’Alexandrie. He has contributed two volumes to the AVANT series published jointly by St. Nersess and St. Vladimir’s Seminaries: Patriotism and Piety in Armenian Christianity: The Early Panegyrics on Saint Gregory (2005), and Macarius of Jerusalem: Letter to the Armenians, A.D. 335 (2008). The latter is the earliest full-length document bearing on Armenian history, and the earliest from Jerusalem since the New Testament. Oxford University Press is the publisher of his annotated translation of The Armenian Gospel of the Infancy (2008). His book, Magnalia Dei: Biblical History in Epic Verse by Grigor Magistros, in the Hebrew University Armenian Studies series (2012), is on the first literary epic in medieval Armenian. His latest book, The Festal Works of St. Gregory of Narek was published in 2016 by the Liturgical Press in Minnesota (it has received book-awards from the Catholic Publishers Association and the National Association for Armenian Studies and Research). He has just completed a commentary on Koryoun’s Life of Mashtots’ and a documentary history of early Armenian monasticism (5th-6th centuries).
- Terian, Abraham. The Festal Works of St. Gregory of Narek: Annotated Translation of the Odes, Litanies, and Encomia. Collegeville, MN: Liturgical Press, 2016.
- Terian, Abraham. Magnalia Dei: Biblical History in Epic Verse by Grigor Magistros: Critical Text with Introduction, Translation and Commentary. Hebrew University Armenian Studies 14. Leuven: Peeters, 2012.
- Terian, Abraham. The Armenian Gospel of Infancy. Oxford, UK: Oxford University Press, 2008.
- Terian, Abraham. Patriotism and Piety in Armenian Christianity: The Early Panegyrics on St. Gregory. AVANT: Treasures of the Armenian Christian Tradition 2. Yonkers, NY: St. Vladimir’s Seminary Press, 2005.
- Terian, Abraham. Philonis Alexandrini De Animalibus: The Armenian Text with an Introduction, Translation, and Commentary. Studies in Hellenistic Judaism / Supplements to Studia Philonica 1. Chico, CA: Scholars Press, 1981.